Another WordPress CORE update came out yesterday, PASS IT ON! haha…
Seriously, they do come out regularly. Do you have yours set to “automatically” update. I don’t. It’s probably more work the way I do it, because I do full file and database backup before updating the core files, …and while I have never needed that backup yet, it’s just my luck that the second I stop backing up first, an update will surely bring down my site and I won’t have the means to restore it, so my “automatic” feature, is turned off. How about you? Do you do your own? Do you have someone else do them? Do you ignore them altogether? (We do have an annual service that is very reasonable if you want them done “for” you…with backups first. Just get a hold of me on the contact page, or chat, or voicemail, or however you like really.
Anyway, back to the update. This update fixes 28 bugs, and some major security updates.
WordPress versions 4.9.4 and earlier are affected by three security issues. As part of the core team’s ongoing commitment to security hardening, the following fixes have been implemented in 4.9.5:
- Don’t treat
localhostas same host by default.
- Use safe redirects when redirecting the login page if SSL is forced.
- Make sure the version string is correctly escaped for use in generator tags.
Twenty-five other bugs were fixed in WordPress 4.9.5. Particularly of note were:
- The previous styles on caption shortcodes have been restored.
- Cropping on touch screen devices is now supported.
- A variety of strings such as error messages have been updated for better clarity.
- The position of an attachment placeholder during uploads has been fixed.
- Improved compatibility with PHP 7.2. (Aaron D. Campbell, 4-3-2018, “WordPress 4.9.5 Security and Maintenance Release” )
If you want to read the full Release Notes, you can read those here: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2018/04/03/wordpress-4-9-5/
If you subscribe to my blog, or my facebook page, I do try to put out a notice for all “important” WordPress updates and/or changes, so follow if it makes life easier for you. 🙂